Tuesday, October 13, 2009

36 Weeks and Thoughts

Here I am at 36 weeks pregnant. I am now at 38 and even bigger if you can believe it.



I am not much for sharing my thoughts on my blog, but I think I will a little bit now. I am starting to get a little nervous about delivering another baby. Chess's birth was so awesome: a 4 hour labor from start to finish, already 8 cm when we arrived at the hospital, no drugs for me, and a healthy and safe mom and baby (albeit a huge 10 lb 8 oz baby). We had an ultra sound last week and the baby's measurements said she weighs around 8 lb 4 oz. Those late-term ultra sounds can be way off (Chess's said she was just over 8 lbs the day before she was born). If it IS accurate, then it's a good thing, because this baby is smaller than Chess. My doctor has been really good about working with me and my desire to not be induced. I really don't want to be induced and have stronger-than-normal contractions and not know how long labor will last with it and possibly have to have a C-section (the risk is higher when you are induced). But I also don't want to have to have a C-section from a too-big baby or risk her clavicle being broken at birth, which my doctor says is a real possibility with big babies. But, I am over 2.5 cm dilated already, so hopefully things will progress naturally on their own very soon. My doctor is hopeful for this, too. So, for now, we are not scheduled to be induced. We want another completely natural birth and a healthy baby and momma. Now we just wait.

4 comments:

Grace said...

I think part of the reason why I have random people seeing our blog is b/c I leave a lot of comments...so its probably friends of friends. But either way...its time!...So the thing I made for your baby....There was a girl in our ward who had 4 boys and was preg with #5....they like to wait until birth to find out the sex...well it was a girl! So they threw he an "emergency" baby shower...there went your gift. It was last minute and that's all I had! So I am now in the process of making you another one...don't worry, they are the exact same. Sorry I gave your present to someone else...it's almost like indian giving.

The Shaws said...

Wow! I can't believe you are already 38 weeks and dilated. If it makes you feel better, my labor with Matt was easier than Luke. I was only in pain for about 30 mins and it was not a horrible pain...it hurt but I managed. I have been induced both times, so I don't know any different with strength of contractions, but I don't think labor is as bad as I imageined before I had kids. Good luck!

Grace said...

Also, I'm glad to read your thoughts...you should share them more often. When I was on pitocen with Eli they wanted me to be three centimeters before they would give me the epidural but I was at 2.5 and was DYING(I begged and they said ok)...and you're already there at 38 weeks...congrats! I hope you don't have to be induced...I wish i could go without but my body doesn't know how to deliver a baby on its own:(...but whatever happens you will do great...you're a strong momma and you make strong babies!

Kimberly said...

And I thought I had big babies! Way to go...I'm sure all will turn out great :)