Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Fondant

I made my first fondant cake. I've been wanting to do this for awhile now, but never had the occasion. When planning my friend, Melony's, baby shower, I thought I would volunteer, then I had to try it. I watched a ton of videos on youtube to get the recipe and see the techniques. Instead of buying rolled fondant at the store (which I hear is expensive and tastes nasty), I made it out of marshmallows and powdered sugar. With the help of Nan-Naw's Kitchen Aid mixer, it was so easy to make. The decorating took quite a bit of time (around 3 hours), but Jared helped, and we had a fun time rolling fondant and making polka dots after the kids were in bed.





11 comments:

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

Way to go! It turned out SO cute! I still haven't tried making a cake with fondant icing after being so gung-ho about it before. Maybe you've inspired me... :)

Jill said...

Alison! These look so good!! I tried to do that for Michael's first birthday with marshmallows, but F.A.I.L.E.D... miserably! The great thing about the marshmallow fondant is that it's edible! Yay!

Grace said...

you. are. amazing. I miss you dearly.

Unknown said...

wow...it turned out so cute!! You did a fabulous job, I am so proud of you!!! I don't like fondant, and yours looks great.

libbysupermom said...

Beautiful job Ali!!! You are awesome, if I say so myself...and I do!
Love you!

danette said...

Wow, it turned out great!! I've been studying up on fondant too, as I'm going to attempt a Cat in the Hat cake for Bitty's birthday and need to make the figures to put on it. Any tips?

Brittney said...

I'm so glad you got pictures of it. These are some serious bragging rights.:) My kids loved gobbled up the cake when I got home so apparently it tasted really good as well!:)

The Shaws said...

Amazing Ali...but I don't expect anything less from you!

Bowman Family said...

You did a great job and I still can not believe that it was your first time.

Whitmire Family said...

you HAVE to show me how to do that!!! That is such a BEAUTIFUL cake! Great job!

Unknown said...

It looks great! I LOVE working with fondant - it is so smooth!!!!!!!!!! I love smooth! And the MMF tastes so much better than store bought and is MUCH easier to make than traditional fondant. My favorite fondant cake to make is a fish cake where I combine fondant and buttercream that I found in a British cake book.
And Cake Boss made some super easy fondant strip roses and they look so cute! All you do is cut rolled out fondant and roll it into a rose.
Again, Great Job! Have fun with the wonderful world of cake making!