Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving

We decided to host my family's Thanksgiving here at the Thompson home this year.  It turned out to be quite homey and fun, in my opinion.



The girls and I made this Thankful Turkey and have been putting on one feather every day in November. Each feather lists something Chess or Lera said they were thankful for that day.  Some of the answers were pretty funny - they are still trying to grasp the concept of what they are thankful for.  Both girls did say they were thankful for Momma and Daddy, and Lera said she was thankful for Chess and herself. The most popular type of answer was to name something that was in their immediate line of vision: turkey, doll, chair, cup, etc.    When I tried to gently guide Chess in a certain direction, she became very determined to name a random (although important to her, I'm sure) object, such as markers and toy cars.

We made a few different kinds of turkeys.  There are just so many things to do with turkeys!  I feel bad that the only reason we use turkeys in crafts is because we eat them.  I just don't enjoy making crafts of Indian corn and cornucopias.  Maybe next year we'll branch out.

I forgot to photograph the hand print turkeys and pasta turkeys, which were so cute.



Here are the pumpkin turkeys.



Everyone came over to eat a delicious meal.  I made a turkey, homemade rolls, and pumpkin pie cheesecake.  All the food was great.  We lined up some tables to have room for everyone.



We had a little table for the little kids and their helpers, Bailey and Halle.  Those girls are so good with the little ones.  My girls LOVE playing with them.

After eating and relaxing a bit, we went to see Arthur Christmas.  It was a cute movie.  Lera stayed home with Jared to nap.  Chess loved watching the movie and getting popcorn from Stacy and Paw-Paw.  It was quite the treat.

We came back to our house to hang out some more and eat some more.  I am so thankful for my many blessings, especially having almost all my family nearby to celebrate with!  Happy Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

The Saxton's said...

Speaking of cornucopia, Hunger Games Woooo! Oh and cute Turkey ideas!

libbysupermom said...

Thank you Ali for letting us have Thanksgiving at your house this year!! We had a great time!! The food and the company were wonderful!! I love you and your sweet family! Thanks again for everything!!